Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fareed Zakaria interviews Reza Pahlavi


Fareed Zakaria the host of Foreign Exchange on PBS had an interview with Reza Pahlavi Last Friday. Here are some small excerpts from the interview:

Fareed Zakaria: In 1978 when my guest came to the United States, he was the Crown Prince of what appeared to be one of the most powerful monarchies in the world. Reza Pahlavi was the son of the late Shah of Iran. Today he is one of the most tireless advocates of democracy and human rights in that country and has spent many years organizing in various ways an opposition to the current regime. Pleasure to have you here.

Reza Pahlavi: Good to see you again, Fareed.

...Fareed Zakaria: But let me ask you this, Reza; for two decades people like you have been saying this regime is about to crack and crumble and it doesn’t happen. Why?

Reza Pahlavi: Well I think there are several reasons that goes into this. Number one is that most of the foreign countries that have been dealing with Iran until today have never sensed a kind of foreign threat emanating from Tehran oddly enough despite the fact that the regime had been involved with terrorism and had been involved in a lot of activities regionally and beyond...

Fareed Zakaria: ... When you left Iran, you’re 17 years old, and you were the Crown Prince. Do you sometimes look back wistfully at what--the world that you lost?

Reza Pahlavi: No; I’ve been brought up with the morale of feeling comfortable in two ways and to me the biggest principle in my life has been never lose faith in the Creator and always have a clear conscience, and as far as my political judgment goes, I always look ahead. I never look back. And that has been my commitment to my compatriots and to my country. I’m an Iranian above all. I very much doubt that had I been there and have simply transitioned into--as a Crown Prince to the next monarch in the country I would have had all the experience and knowledge that I have acquired since I’ve been outside of my country. I consider that a blessing--not a curse...

To read the interview in full go here and scroll down.
To listen to this interview go here.