Sunday, January 01, 2006

And the year 2006...

Is finally here. This is the year I already had in mind when I set foot in Canada in early 2003, though as the bitter hardships of my new life began to challenge me, I also began to doubt if I'd be able to make it this far at all. But here I am...

It's now been almost three years since I left Iran and embarked on a truly life-changing journey. Since then, every year the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve chronicles the bittersweet moments of the experience I have been through and with that, my mind begins springing back in time and forth to the future, reminding me of the achievements and failures of the past and the challenges of the road ahead.

I'm reminded how I've been trying doubly hard to make up for the past I was denied in my previous country at the risk of missing out on the present, that coming here around thirtish means having to start a new life over and over again and that it might take years before I finally figure out what I'm doing here in this new world...

But I'm also reminded that every single moment of this transformation has definitely been worth fighting for, that there's a future to look forward to, a bright one, whatever time it takes...

I'm reminded that that my future generations will be able to grow up in a world devoid of the hate and fear that engulfed mine...

They'll be able to make the best of their younger years, go to university, find their dream jobs and form and raise their families all at the right time, without having to make up for the lost time...

But most importantly, they'll be able to celebrate those precious moments with the ones that they hold dear, NOT away from them...

Happy New Year everyone.