Sunday, February 19, 2006

Every journey begins with a dream...

Kash Kheirkhah

And so did mine 14 years ago, the very first moment I realized what I really wanted to do with my life.

Three years ago I finally embarked on that life-changing journey, and here I am, young and strong, right here in the place where I belong.

When I look back on the past three bittersweet years I've spent here, I realize how much I've grown, how much I've changed.

And now, as I'm about to turn 32, I feel as if I'm being born again; this time, into the land of free in which I won't have to go through what I did before. It's a new day, in a new land and it's waiting for me.

I'm now a heartbeat away--in fact, only 9 days away-- from proudly becoming a citizen of the free world and I can hardly hold back my tears of joy. Here I am, finally...

The story of immigration is one too difficult to put into words at times. It's as if you are uprooted from your land and planted again in a whole new one.

It's the story of survival, constant struggles and physical and emotional hardships; the story of rough days, and lonely nights. It's the story of those who let go of you just when you need them most. It's the story of the difficult moments you can't share with anyone, because no one understands what you are going through except yourself.

Yet for me, it is also the story of a vision of the promising years to come, the wonderful new places to go, the great new people to see, the precious old friends to rediscover and great new friends to make, the exciting new plans to follow and the life-long dreams to achieve.

It's the story of the chances I'll take and the successes I'll savor.

But above all, It's the story of the best life can hold for me because now I'm free and live in the land of free.

It is the story that hasn't begun yet. Leaving Montreal, for one, would certainly be the beginning of the new era in my life I'm anxiously looking forward to.

To those who made reading my news blog part of their on-line ritual I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I truly hope some day soon, I'll be back to report the news in a bigger, more original capacity, certainly as a news broadcaster. Stay tuned!

As for my country Iran, I just hope there'll come a time when the future generations of Iranians won't have to be subjected to all that has been going on there for the past 27 years. I hope one day Iran and Iranians will get to taste "real freedom". It's true that we need the free world to support us but it's ultimately for us to work for that future. So far, The fault hasn't been our stars, but in ourselves...

Until next time,

This is Kash Kheirkhah, signing off.