Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm a patriotic Iranian. That's why I say 'no' to Tehran's nuclear program

Kash Kheirkhah

USA Today reported on Monday that nuclear program has become a source of pride for manyIranians, quoting some of them as saying,"Having nuclear technology is our legal right."

Well, I am an Iranian born only five years before 1979 Islamic revolution (read disaster). I was living in Iran until three and half years ago and as you can see from what I write and report on this blog, not a day goes by that I don't think about my country and its future at the incapable hands of its current rulers.

Yes, I'm a patriotic Iranian and that's why I loudly say no to Tehran's nuclear program: No to a dangerous program that is rushing my country toward a disastrous war. No to a shameful project that has everything to do with Tehran's regime expanding its brutal apparatus of control and repression and nothing to do with my "sense of pride" and "legal right."

Sense of pride? Legal right? Baloney.

How can I feel proud when the only thing my Japanese student knows about Iran is "Iran is a dangerous country?"

How can I feel proud when the government whose job is to protect its people, instead expose them to fatal electromagnetic waves of satellite-jamming devices?

How can I feel proud when my my country is represented by a mentally-disturbed individual who is more than ready to sacrifice the whole country to pave the way for the world's final confrontation, thus precipitating his messiah's appearance?

And what about other legal, inalienable rights of mine?

What about my right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion?

What about my right to freedom of opinion and expression?

What about my right to a peaceful life, liberty and security?

What about my right to proper education, affordable medical services and a prosperous economy?

I am a patriotic Iranian. That's why I say 'no' to Tehran's nuclear program.

Also read my two other commentaries on Iran's nuclear program:

Invoking Iranian people's nationalism over a program that poses the gravest threat to Iran and Iranians is a pathetic propaganda campaign no Iranian should fall for.

Mr Ahmadinejad, I'm a patriotic Iranian, but you tell me which one will bolster my sense of patriotism: A costly nuclear power program that is likely to impose a wide range of back-breaking sanctions on an already suffering nation or trade agreements that would lift the sanctions and provide Iran—among other things-- with spare parts for its ailing civilian airline that is taking more lives each passing year?What do we gain by our nuclear program even if it is peaceful? Is it going to create jobs in a country whose unemployment rate is becoming a national threat? Is it going to bring bread to the homes of our underprivileged people? Is it going to make us a safer nation or put us more at risk?