Thursday, October 12, 2006

O Canada, my new home and native land...

Kash Kheirkhah

There are moments in our journey through this amazing ride called life in which dreams finally come true, only if we believe ourselves worthy of them and have the courage to follow them since pursuing a dream sometimes--as it happened in my own life--equates abandoning some of the people you hold dearest in your life.

Three and a half years ago, I left my family and homeland to embark on a life-changing journey that began with a dream. The dream of a brighter future by establishing my life in the modern, free world and eventually becoming a member of this new, exciting world...

And it was this dream that kept me going through some of the most difficult days of my life...

Tomorrow, as Canada embraces me as one of its new citizens, a big part of this dream finally comes true and I just couldn't be any happier.

As I have said before, immigration, before anything else, is the story of survival; the story of constant physical and emotional struggles; the story of the difficult moments impossible to share with anyone, because no one understands what you are going through except yourself.

Yet it is also the story of a vision of the promising years to come, the wonderful new places to go, the great new people to see, the precious old friends to rediscover and great new friends to make, the exciting new plans to follow and the life-long dreams to achieve. It's the story of the chances to take and the successes to savor.

Canada is now my new homeland but that doesn't mean Iran isn't anymore. It is true that I am blacklisted--like hundreds of thousands of other freedom-loving Iranians-- by the Iranian regime and thus, can't go back, but there is not a SINGLE moment I don't think about IRAN and the people--including my own family-- who are suffering under the hands of a backward, oppressive regime. I can't wait to see the day that my country is finally free and as a journalist, I'll do my level best to open people's eyes, on this side of the world, to the atrocities that are happening in Iran and also help my own compatriots receive the news and information they really need to know, in order to get out of the plight they are currently in.

Iran, my home and native land, I love you and look forward to the day I'll see you again as a free, democratic and prosperous country.

Canada, my new home and native land,

Here I am. This is me and I coming to your world so wild and free.

It's a new world. It's a new start. It's a new day in a new land and it's waiting for me.

Here I am...Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I love you.