Saturday, February 09, 2008

Demagogary VS. substance

Hillary Clinton used to call it "rhetoric vs. reality." I call it demagogary vs. substance.

For the reasons that really baffle me at this point, Barack Obama, your avarage politician, is being sold to public by his mesmerized fans and media as "the one." The messiah whose time has come, "we are the ones we have been waiting for," he said in his Feb. 5 speech.

Not only that, here's what he said in a stump speech in the gym of North Charleston High School in South Carolina on January 24:

“At some point in the evening, a light is going to shine down and you will have an epiphany and you’ll say, ‘I have to vote for Barack.’”

or according to CNN:

"My job is to help him do his job. So I am going to try to be so persuasive in the 20 minutes or so that I speak that by the time this is over, a light will shine down from somewhere. It will light upon you. You will experience an epiphany. And you will say to yourself, I have to vote for Barack. I have to do it."

I have never liked Barack Obama and his third-world style, demagogic speeches which are bereft of any substance at all. But this aspect of his campaign is REALLY beginning to trouble me. Does Obama think he is Jesus? what does all this mass messianism really mean?

Obama is an inspirational politician. Granted. But to quote Joe Klein of Time:

"That is not just maddeningly vague but also disingenuous: the campaign is entirely about Obama and his ability to inspire. Rather than focusing on any specific issue or cause — other than an amorphous desire for change — the message is becoming dangerously self-referential. The Obama campaign all too often is about how wonderful the Obama campaign is."

But this is the magic formula for Obama and it's really disturbing-- for people like me who admire Hillary Clinton for her brilliant grasp of the issues that matter the most to the voters--to see it is kind of working for him.

Not that I'm kidding myself, but I truly hope that Hillary will brave the next couple of brutal weeks of February and pull this thing off in Texas, Ohio and eventually in Pennsylvania.

America needs a competent leader who is ready on day one not a preacher. Please keep this in mind before you vote.